Bristol Industrial
Archaeological Society (BIAS)
BIAS@50 - 1967-2017 - Celebrating half a century of research

** looks better when viewed in browser supporting current standards***

Down the Docks and Up the Cut

In Jul 2009
Bristol Ferry Company presented a series of four cruises as part of Harbour 200 celebrations- celebrating the 200th anniversary of Brunel's Floating Harbour, 'New Cut' (not normally navigated) and Feeder Canal. John Penny provided the commentary. These pictures principally show the New Cut, but I could not resist the shots of the Suspension Bridge and Clifton and Hotwells! Maggie Shapland
Andy King and John Penny
Andy King came on the trip too. John Penny provided a brilliant commentary full of dates and manufacturers of bridges
Richard Clutterbuck
Richard Clutterbuck came along with his camera.
Brunel swivel bridge
Different view of the 1849 Brunel swivel bridge under the 1965 Cumberland Basin
locks
In the lock with lovely view of Clifton and Hotwells
locks
Cumberland Entrance Lock gates opening
suspension bridge
View of Suspension Bridge from the water
the cut
Sweeping round into the Cut. Wills Tobacco warehouses to the right, built between 1905 and 1919
B Bond bridge
Swing railway bridge by B Bond warehouse. Buit by Lysaght 1906. This was a double decker bridge.
Harbour Office
Harbour Office
Vauxhall Bridge
Vauxhall pedestrian Bridge was built by Lysaught 1900
eroded rocks
Eroded rocks on bank
Gaol Ferry bridge
Gaol Ferry pedestrian Suspension Bridge built by David Rowell of Westminster 1939
Bedminster Bridge
Bedminster road bridge 1882 by the General Hospital. The modern bridge was built 1963
Bedminster Bridge detail
Banana Bridge
Banana footbridge built 1883 by Finch and co, Chepstow
Bath Road Bridges
Bath Road bridge 1885 and Temple Meads railway bridge
Lysaghts works
Lysaghts old works
exeter engine sheds
Remains of Exeter Railway engine sheds
Totterdown bridge
Totterdown Rd railway and passenger bridge 1888 built by Lysaght
St Philips Causeway
St Philips Causeway bridge
barge site
Built barges here til after the War
paintworks
Paintworks recently refurbished by George Ferguson
Lysaghts suspension bridge
Lysaghts passenger suspension bridge 1902
Lysaghts bridge
Lysaghts bridge detail
cormorants
cormorants
Avon Bridge
Brunels grade 1 listed gothic style Avon Bridge, Brislington built 1839 hidden between a pair of girder bridges. The bridge carries the Great Western Main Line into Bristol Temple Meads railway station over the Avon. It is approximately 100 metres west (downstream) of Netham Lock.
Avon Bridge
Avon Bridge detail
Netham lock
Netham dam- time to turn round
suspension bridge
View of Suspension Bridge and Hotwells from the water
suspension bridge
View of Suspension Bridge and Clifton from the water
windsor terrace
Windsor Terrace
lock water level
Entrance lock water level indicator, going upto 33 feet- showing huge tidal range of the Avon
lock ring
Lock ring to secure boats showing shininess of years of use
pump house
Thomas Howard's Italianate Hydraulic Engine House built 1871
underfall yard
Underfall Yard housing harbour outlet sluices, converted 1834 by introduction of culverts. Workshops and blacksmiths shops with 1880s equipment still in situ
pump house
Cattybrook brick Hydraulic Engine House built 1888. Electric engines 1907 still in use. Just after the 1925 John Lysaght (structural steelwork company) swing bridge (replaced earlier bridge). It bridges the Junction Lock linking the Basin to the Harbour. Houses the stop gates, which are closed when the tide in the river is expected to rise higher than the Harbour level. An essential part of Bristolís flood defence system.
tug
tug